Sunday, June 8, 2008

I finished my Bigfoot Shawl!!!!!

I finished my Bigfoot Shawl this weekend. I have to say it turned out very good. I'm very pleased with it.

When I first started the shawl it was a little awkward. I only started out with around 12 stitches that were to be spaced about 1 inch apart. I had never done that before, it was different. I actually had to use my straight needles to do the cast on.

The shawl is basically made up of three parts. I cast on 12 stitches and then there is a 13 row section where you increase every other row. I went from the original 12 stitches and in 13 rows it grows to 192 stitches. The second part of the shawl is called the yoke. The yoke consists of 14 rows and increases the shawl to 385 stitches. The first two parts of the shawl knit up very quickly.
The third part of the shawl is a 4 row repeat to create the body of the shawl. The pattern was a fairly quick knit, thought the purl side sometimes felt like it would never end. I originally put a marker to indicate the wrong side of the shawl, but I quickly found that it was pretty easy to differentiate between the wrong side and the right side of the shawl.
This was also my first knitted project to block. I have plans to create a blocking board, I just have to get the rest of my supplies and construct it. So, I decided to block the shawl on my bed, praying that it would be dry before bed time. I pinned it out around 6 this evening. I turned the fan on high to help it out. I think it dried in about an hour and a half maybe.


I've been wearing it around the apartment. I'm just so proud of it. My first lace shawl project using lace weight yarn. I can't wait to wear it to work tomorrow. Although I'm the only woman in my office, it's though sometimes. I'm not sure that the guys will appreciate the art work that is my shawl. Oh well, I'm going to wear it all the same.

Now I have to figure out which shawl I want to knit next. Also I need to place another Knit Picks order. I believe all my lace yarn is spoken for right now. Now, to persuade hubby that an order is necessary.

Until next time!
~Happy Knitting~

No comments: