Thursday, August 28, 2008

Saving Peanut

My little Peanut

Last weekend we were in Tulsa to visit family and drop my puppy off at my parents house in preparation for our Colorado vacation next week. Saturday morning we found a baby squirrel who apparently fell out of his nest in one of the big trees in my parents yard. It broke my heart to see the poor thing shaking on the sidewalk. His eyes weren't even open yet!



So naturally we adopted him and took care of him. I named him Peanut. Hubby did some research on the Internet about caring for baby squirrels. We hydrated him and got some formula in him and he started to do better. He slept most of Saturday and Sunday. Sunday morning I woke up to feed him and his eyes were open! He's such a cute little critter! My little Peanut.


Sunday evening and Monday after work he was pretty lively. He'd make the cutest little noises and crawl around on my shoulders and lap. Even though I knew I couldn't keep him, I got WAY attached to him. I took several pictures and Hubby even recorded him crawling around on me out on our front porch.


Tuesday we contact an Animal Shelter to see what we could do for Peanut. We couldn't possibly take him to Colorado with us. We are going to be high up in the mountains camping, it would get WAY too cold for his little body up there. It broke my heart to give him up! (Yes I cried over a squirrel). He was my little Peanut. He would crawl up and rest his little head on my shoulder and fall asleep like a baby.


Giving him up was hard, but I know it is what's best for him. He would never survive the cold climate in Colorado. He got too cold in our apartment and we had to turn it so the AC wouldn't kick on. We turned him over to a volunteer group called Wild Care. They took our address and said that when Peanut was ready to be released they would release him in our neighborhood. So I may see my little Peanut again someday.


I really miss him. He was such a cute little squirrel. At least I know he is being cared for by good people.



1 comment:

Lupie said...

I found your blog on Ravelry and enjoyed reading it. Your work is beautiful.